Free-Roaming Horse Tour Guide Training
Information & Registration
TOUR GUIDE TRAINING…
Viewing horses "in the wild" has always been appealing to tourists. Maybe it is seeing the sense of freedom, maybe it is seeing the beauty of these animals -- or maybe just a desire to go back to when life was simpler.
Be part of sharing this experience with families and individuals who visit SouthEast Kentucky. Become a Free-Roaming Horse Tour Guide by taking the Training Class offered by the Appalachian Horse Project (AHP).
Topics to be taught will include:
- Introduction to AHP and Free-Roaming Horses
- The Role of a Tour Guide
- Breathitt County History & Culture
- Horses: Herd and Individual Behaviors
- Insurance & Liability
- Safety and Emergency Response
- Logistics of Tour Assignment
- Other Attractions in the Region
- 1/2 day Practice Tour with volunteer "tourists"
You are eligible to be a tour guide if you meet the following requirements::
- Take the AHP 2-day training course. Classes are held in Jackson, Kentucky.
- Have CPR and First Aid training within the last 3 years (We may be able to provide this through KCTCS but you may take it anywhere.) This training does not have to be done by class time, but must be done before taking out your first tour.
- Clean driving record (no DUI in the last 5 years)
- Clean, dependable vehicle that can hold 4 people in addition to Tour Guide
- Some experience with horses
- Access to email (This is how the requested tours will be sent out to guides)
Class size is limited to 15 people on a first-come basis, so register early to save your seat in the class!